7/24-7/26 Providencia, Colombia to San Andres ,Colombia

The sail to San Andres was blissfully uneventful. It was the first time that we left to go sailing with the seas predicted to be 8 feet and the wind projected to be around 20 knots. The period between the waves was suppose to be long enough that we felt comfortable leaving in these conditions. Three weeks ago we probably would have waited for smaller seas and less wind, but we were feeling pretty salty now. We pulled, well Ted pulled, the anchor as the sun was rising. The wind was strong as soon as we headed out. Even with our torn jib we were able to sail at about 5 knots for 8 hours by only flying the small usable corner. The wind eventually died down and we motorsailed for the remaining 2-3 hours. It was a beautiful day.

We knew we had to go through a reef pass to enter San Andres. As we were approaching San Andres we pulled out the binocs and stared curiously at a large ship that seemed to be entering the anchorage, but not where the reef pass was indicated on our chart. As we sailed closer to the ship we quickly noticed that the ship was not moving at all. It had crashed into the reef. It was at this point that we decided to stop sailing toward the ship and found the well-marked entrance to the anchorage. As soon as we were done dropping and setting the anchor, we saw Conor and Meg get onto a pontoon boat and head our way. Mishelle and Esmeralda (from the General’s crew) had seen us sailing in and invited us on a sunset cruise around San Andres. They treated us to cheese and crackers and rum drinks. They even gave us cool metal mugs to keep. Insulated mugs complete with spill-proof lids are much appreciated when you live on a boat. It was a great welcome to San Andres. We went out that night and celebrated being at our last port of call before our passage to Panama. Other than a lack of hearing “oye” and “bro”, I could have sworn we were in downtown Miami.

San Andres is surrounded by amazingly blue, clear water and a lot of reef. We swam around the boat, but we didn’t do much exploring. We had Panama on the brain and spent our time checking in, again, getting a health certificate for Gimp, watching the weather, and getting ready for our trip to Panama. We bought tons of diesel, because we knew we would have to motorsail the entire way due to our mini jib and lack of wind.

Pulling into the San Andres anchorage (with only our mainsail up)

Our Colombian Friends

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>